Happy Monday, friends. Today I bring you a new family favorite recipe…Gluten Free Dairy Free Lasagna.
We don’t post recipes around here very often…so infrequently in fact that my own sister seemed genuinely shocked when I told her I was photographing lasagna the other night for a blog post!
I know that 99% of you come around for the DIY projects and decorating ideas. The other 1% are my Mom, MIL and Aunties. But fellow gluten free friends have been asking about our gluten free dairy free lasagna for awhile now and blogging about it is definitely the easiest way to share.
So if you aren’t here for my random recipes, please feel free to skip this post.
It’s SO good!
Gluten Free Dairy Free Lasagna
- small amount of olive oil to grease the pan
- 1 package ground chicken/beef/turkey (regular size)
- 2 cloves garlic, either crushed or chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1-1 1/2 jars or cans of spaghetti sauce (I have used both the PC Organics Primevera and Costco's Marinara sauce, but you can use whatever you like)
- 24 oz plain non-dairy yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp Parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 12-16 pcs rice lasagna (I use Rizopia which can be found in Ontario at the Superstore and some health food stores)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded Daiya or other shredded cheese substitute (if you can have soy use soy, etc.)
- Brown ground meat in a large pan or electric frypan sprayed with olive oil. I used ground chicken this time because I was making it for a friend who can't eat beef.
- Add garlic and onion. Cook until transparent.
- Remove meat, garlic and onion mixture and blend in a food processor to desired consistency. I don't have a food processor, so I blend meat mixture in a blender with some of the spaghetti sauce.
- Pour all the sauce and the meat mixture back into the pan. Add Italian seasoning, basil, oregano and salt & pepper (if using). Simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl mix the almond yogurt with one beaten egg, parsley and sea salt.
- Layer the lasagna: Spread 1/3 of the meat sauce mixture in the bottom of a large lasagna pan. Add a single layer of lasagna noodles on top of meat mixture. Spread 1/2 of the yogurt mixture on top of noodles. Spread second 1/3 of the meat mixture over yogurt mixture. Add a single layer of lasagna noodles.Spread with yogurt. Spread with meat sauce. Sprinkle shredded Daiya or other shredded cheese substitute on top. (So it goes: meat, noodles, yogurt, meat, noodles, yogurt, meat, cheese.)
- Bake cover with aluminum foil in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven WITHOUT aluminum foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Honestly the photos don’t do this tasty dish justice! You’ve got to try it for yourself and let us know what you think!
(Recipe updated with new photos!)